Friday, December 26, 2008

Hancock semi-review...

First half showed some promise, if some seemingly improbable, situations. Take a superman, make him cynical, and see where it goes. But some time after the climactic bank heist in the middle (that's right), the film took a big dump. I'd make a review, but all the shaky camera work makes me dizzy. The characters were underdeveloped and contrived, the plot didn't push the envelope as far as how well you could make a film about a superman who really fits more into the anti-hero mold, and there really wasn't a nemesis that was worthy of Hancock's powers. Sure, there was the bank thief who lost his hand on account of Hancock, but there's not much there. Take a look at all the superheros, and they have equally matched villains: Superman has his Doomsday, Batman has his Bane, the Incredible Hulk has his Abomination. Hancock, by comparison, has a one-armed bank thief who manages to beat him with a fire extinguisher or some nonsense.

The lighting was forced or bland, the camera work neither grasped the notion of Blair Witchiness nor use of a tripod/Steadicam (C) rig, the acting either lacked the faith of the actors or was asking me to jump through the screen and slap the guy silly for being silly in his approach the PR character, and a fight that could have been great, but was poorly done because of the wrong reasons. Why people loved this movie is beyond me, I preferred watching The Dark Knight. Hell, even Space Chimps seemed more interesting, and it was a CGI children's film.

I know this review seems a bit forced, but that's only because it's a reflection of the film. Give me a film made of stool, I present stool. Give me a film made of pure awesomesauce, and my reviews will be awesomesauce, with bread pudding and whiskey sauce. Of course, I might just purchase this film if it came packaged with the official release of "The Wizard of Speed and Time", which is the only way to buy the latter film is with Hancock. And punch and pie.

Oh, well. There's always Sesame Street Presents Follow that Bird.

No comments: